Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sweaters & Granny Boots

Hello Friends!
I have a secret to share with you.
I'm not all that into the most current styles.

Yes, it is true.
Maybe that is why I like Thrift Stores...
nothing is in or out of style at the thrift store.

It is all there for the taking depending on how daring you are!

I'm not all that daring, but in my closet at one time was a vintage 50's coat with faux fur collar! That one was beautiful blueberry blue. I passed it on when we lived in Mississippi. Now I have a jaunty red number that I wear with a black scarf and gloves! Lindsey gave me a sparkly monogramed J pin that looks quite cute on the lapel.
~*~
Seriously though,
I love wearing denim skirts with tights and boots.
I picked up on this style back in the 90's in the Victoria magazine.
Those girls always wore classic, beautiful clothing.
That is what I love, classic sweaters, classic shoes, classic handbags & jewelry.


In the winter, I want cozy Fair Isle Sweaters.
Sweaters that remind me of going on woodland walks, ski lodges & hot chocolate.
Sweaters that smell faintly of woodsmoke.


These are so easy to find at the thrift stores.
Seems like nobody else is interested in these traditional winter garmets.
This gray/green one is classic Eddie Bauer
Lucky for ME!


Sweaters with a little bit of wool in them are fun.
Yes, they can be a bit itchy but you wear them over turtle necks.
This cute little sweater was a thrift store find from last year.


I researched the label and it is from New York and sold for about $175.


Now to wear these with a denim skirt, you need the right type of tights. You want the thick, warm tights. The ones I bought this year are chocolate brown, and black. The boots are a bit harder to find especially for a good price. I did a search on Etsy and found a lot of them. Some were a bit pricey though. My favorites though are the ones with...

Buttons!


I have worn my granny boots with...
long denim dresses,
short denim dresses,
denim prairie skirts,
and just plain denim skirts.
Denim skirts are a dime a dozen at the thrift stores.
But to me they are always in style...Victoria magazine says so!
~*~
So my friends let's enjoy winter!
Wear cozy sweaters, and
warm, woolen mittens,
and
Granny Boots!

************************
~ Jill ~

12 comments:

Melinda said...

Hi Jill--
I'm with you, "classic" rocks!
I'm a sweater girl too. The cuter the better and I'm one to enjoy holiday sweaters or sweatshirts.
The "fashion police" don't agree but I don't remember asking them.
Ha! Ha!

Enjoy your classic fashions and have a great week!

Melinda

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Jill....A girl who knows what she likes! Stay warm!~Hugs, Patti

Sharon said...

Hi, Jill! You make those wool sweater look so appealing but I'd be itching all over in one of those. However, they do look great. And the grannie booth are the cats meow! Hope you stay warm and snuggly till spring for which I am more than ready! Have a great week!
Sharon

Salmagundi said...

Hi Jill!! I've always loved that Victoria Magazine look, but just never could pull it off. My ankles are like porch posts - not a good thing for ankle boots, even with a really, really long skirt! I'm envious of you. Beautiful in Colorado today, but chilly - perfect for boot/sweater look. Sally

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Jill!
Somehow I lost touch with your blog, but I stumbled upon one of your comments on another blog and wanted to stop in and say Happy 2010!

I love the classics too. I love twin sweater sets, jeans and white t-shirts, trench coats....
Hugs,
Penny

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Missouri weather calls for sweater and boots doesn't it? Would love to go thrifying with you anytime, you always find some incredible things.. hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Jill, hello! I just found your blog (by clicking on many others) and I'm so thrilled I did. Sounds like you have a charming life and definately a charming country home!
sarah

Unknown said...

Jill,
My first visit, great blog. You have a wonderful warm and inviting home and tons of great ideals. I found you through Back Porch Musing. I will enjoy following your blog. Stop by sometime, if you get a chance.
Sandy

Stacey said...

Kim, I missed this post last week! I love sweaters and boots too. I don't have any granny boots but do love my riding boots...not that I ride. :)

cottage farm villa said...

I don't own a pair of granny boots, but once did and I LOVED them.... great photos!

joyh82 said...

I agree you can find the best things in thrift stores and I love warm cozy clothing.

Kim said...

Hey Jill, Just wanted to give you a heads up - the snowfall widget has been wreaking havok all over blogland. Their site was hacked and anybody who has the snowfall effect on their blog has been having problems. I had my blog redirected to another site so nobody, including myself, could access it. When I did a post about it, so many people responded that they had the same issue. You may want to remove it.
Kim

Blog Widget by LinkWithin